Foxwell NT520 Land Rover Discovery II review yes & no list for your reference.
1. I have used the Foxwell and it works great , it does ABS bleeds and Power Bleeds! amazing to be able to bleed the lines without a helper! Best 180dollars I have spent in a long time.
Here are screenshots of the brake’s special function options (1) modular bleed and (2) power bleed functions that really work on m Disco…
2. I purchased the Foxwell NT520 and it is a great tool. When you buy the scanner it comes with a vehicle specific scanner module that you download, additional cars cost about $70. My scanner download handles all of the Jaguar and Landrover models. It can read generic codes from a vehicle and it can clear generic codes from a vehicle but without the manufacturer specific module download it is difficult to precise error identification and troubleshooting. It does allows me to activate the Wabco modulator to bleed the ABS and do a power bleed. It has a live data menu that allows you to select and plot data on the screen as you drive. I used it for instance to monitor my SVS fault to indicate whether or not the SVS switches are being detected when I depress the brake. Great unit.
3. I was really surprised to see the NT520 actually showed the EKA code so I went ahead and changed it.
4. NT520 read VIN automatically.
5. There is also an option to reset the ECM and ECU adaptions which I didn’t try since I don’t know exactly what this does to my electrical system…
(Note: The image is marked with NT510, because NT520 is the same as NT510 for Land Rover)
6. Foxwell NT510 is interesting for less than $150.
What it can do:
read/clear all codes (Diagnose my 3 amigos done, I’ve done this on my friend’s Disco 2 since I don’t get the 3 amigos fault anymore.)
activate all systems (yes, ABS, ACE, etc.)
read and program a new EKA code for your driver-side lock+key
program remote fob keys (well, maybe)
Change the VIN of your Disco2 recorded in your various ecus such as transmission, BCU, ECM, etc.
Clear all “adaptive” values such as your long term fuel values (extremely useful if you have changed any emissions components including O2’s, fuel injectors, spark plugs, etc.).
What Foxwell NT520 fails:
It does have an option to change from air shocks to coil shocks. I have tried to do this several times but can’t get it to actually change the ECU programming. I followed all the on screen instructions but no luck.
I can’t get the NT520 to show oil pressure
It can’t program most BCU options, so you can’t turn on Daytime Running Lights (DRL) but it can read and tell you if that option is activated, for example.
Same for disabling all alarm functions programmatically, e.g. turning off SuperLock or telling your Disco2 that it doesn’t have an alarm (even if it does), or vice-versa. Can’t do it.
Same again for telling your Disco that it now has a remote key fob (remember I said “maybe” above?!).
Likewise, it won’t program your BCU to activate your front heated windshield if you have installed all of the components onto a Disco that didn’t have a heated front windscreen as a factory original option.
Basically, I’m guessing that you need a Hawkeye plus an NT520 or just a Nanocom.
I tried the key programming function on my Foxwell NT-520 and couldn’t get it to work either.
nothing works after entering either the 6 digit code from the key fob or the 18 digit code from the scientific calculations excel spreadsheet…. yet. I sent a message to Foxwell’s help line and they replied that updates are in work.
Here are the screen shots of the Key programming screens…
Q: Would you say foxwell nt510 / NT520 is still worth buying?
A: Yes. It lets you control the brakes and various activators. It lets you reset the ECU’s “learned” fuel mapping.
It shows you most live data (not oil pressure!) and lets you erase ODB2 codes.
Maybe the used key that I bought simply doesn’t transmit properly or some such. I simply can’t confirm that the Foxwell can program key FOBs.
It did reprogram my EKA to something that I could remember, though.
PS: Foxwell NT510 is replaced by Foxwell NT520.